The light that gets you homeSM
Discontinued - V1 sold January 2011 through September 2011
Discontinued - V2 sold October 2011 through December 2013
Discontinued - V3 sold January 2014 through December 2014
Discontinued - V4 sold January 2015 through February 2018
V5 sold February 2018 through present
The EDC family of flashlights includes the EDC Executive, EDC LE (law enforcement), EDC Rotary, EDC Tactical (clicky-style), EDC Tactical (rotary-control), EDC High CRI and several monochromatic specialty lights: EDC IR (400mW) flashlight, EDC Dark Adaption Red flashlight, EDC Hunter Green flashlight and EDC Forensic Blue flashlight with orange glasses. Cool white versions typically provided 100, 120, 140, 170, 200, 250 and 325 lumens with Rotary styles only providing the higher outputs. Medium CRI versions typically provided 140 and 170 lumens with a color rendering index of at least 85. The high CRI lights typically provided 100, 120, 200, 225 and 300 lumens with a color rendering index of at least 90 and ranging up to the mid 90s.
Baked on ceramic coatings of many colors were offered. Colors included safety orange, desert tan, white, olive drab, pink and dark earth.
Solid specialty metal bodies in the Rotary configuration were offered in titanium, naval brass, nickel aluminum bronze, bare aluminum, beryllium copper and stainless steel.
Fully customizable configurations were provided through a Custom page that allowed any legal configuration to be generated and ordered. Thus you could combine most combinations of user interface, LED, body material/color, lens, battery configuration and button style.
The big difference between the V1 (software versions 2.0 to 2.3) and V2 (software versions 2.4 to 2.9) models is in the handling of low batteries. V1 started the double-blink at maximum minus 2, while V2 started at below 60 lumens. Also, the V2 low battery handling, which affected the step-down timing - was much improved - generally providing more warning.
V3 (software versions 2.10 to 2.12) replaced the clicky-style EDC Tactical with the Rotary-style EDC Tactical. Other notable changes included all lights having 24 levels, double-blink started at 50 lumens, changes in standard UI presets, quad-click to turn on/off the locator flash, removal of button lock menu option in favor of a manual button lock-out and higher speed Tactical Strobe per industry research.
V4 (software versions 2.14 to 2.17) added swap A and B position option and triple-click from off for temporary disabling rotary control for EDC Tactical, Locator Flash cannot be turned on when disabled and hex-click to start true momentary mode on non-Tactical models.
V5 (software version 2.18) simplified the Rotary UI by making double-click and triple-click from on use the rotary brightness level - i.e., presets B, C and D are set to the rotary brightness level, rotary control lock for Tactical UI moved to triple-click from on, bring back button lockout with option and triple-click from off, add option to enable hex-click from off starting true momentary, allow new options to work with Tactical UI, improved auto-off function, add pulsating strobe, add beacon strobe and add bicycle configuration.
All models are characterized by serial numbers starting with 20,000 and Acme (trapezoidal) threads. All mechanical parts are generally interchangeable. However, Clicky-style parts are not interchangeable with Rotary-style parts - i.e., you cannot put a Clicky-style battery compartment on a Rotary-style head and vice versa.
The calibrated light output can be determined by the colored ring (or lack of one) on the positive contact. 100 lumens is yellow, 120 lumens is either green or no ring with "everyday carry" on the bezel, 140 lumens is either blue, white (GT) or no ring, 170 lumens is purple, 200 lumens is red, 250 lumens is orange and 325 lumens is yellow. There were also two color designations: 225 lumens was red and orange while 300 lumens was orange and yellow.
The EDC flashlights provide the following features:
- Clicky-style UIs and Rotary UI provide 4 preset brightness settings representing turn on, press and hold, double-click and triple-click. Executive: medium, maximum, medium high, and low respectively. Earlier LE: high, maximum, medium and low, respectively with pseudo momentary enabled. Later LE: high, maximum, medium and Tactical Strobe, respectively with pseudo momentary enabled. Earlier Rotary: rotary selected brightness, maximum, medium and Emergency Strobe, respectively. A somewhat later Rotary: rotary selected brightness, maximum, Emergency Strobe and Tactical Strobe, respectively. The latest Rotary: rotary selected brightness, maximum, rotary selected brightness and rotary selected brightness, respectively. Clicky-style Tactical: maximum, Tactical Strobe, medium and low, respectively with pseudo momentary enabled. The High CRI and monochromatic models use the Executive UI.
- Rotary-style Tactical UI provides 3 preset brightness settings representing full clockwise, partial clockwise and counter clockwise rotary control positions. These positions are maximum, Tactical Strobe and rotary selected brightness, respectively. Both clockwise positions are pure momentary - i.e., button down: light is on, button up: light is off. The counter clockwise position is click on, click off with pseudo momentary enabled.
- 1.25 hour typical runtime on maximum or high setting on earlier flashlights from single CR123 battery, improving to 1.75 - 2.0 hours in later models. Higher output models are more efficient.
- Elegant single button interface has proven to be simple and very popular. Rotary control is very convenient and allows advanced tactical interface.
- Sealed gold-plated switch for maximum reliability starting in early 2010. Prior lights used an unsealed dome.
- Constant brightness through constant power regulation.
- Graceful low battery warning.
- Designed for both regular lithium batteries and rechargeable
Li-ion batteries. Protects rechargeable batteries from over-discharge and prevents accidental activation of protection circuit - a catastrophic failure in the field - i.e., we prevent sudden and unexpected darkness.
- Full thermal management.
- Potted electronics for the ultimate in reliability under extreme conditions.
- Full floating and limited battery compartment protects battery under extreme conditions.
- Nearly unbreakable ultra clear glass lens with anti-reflective coatings. Full floating design prevents breakage.
- Durable Acme threads used throughout.
- Aerospace aluminum protected with black military Type 3 hard anodize. Stainless steel crenelated bezel protects glass lens from breakage.
- Flush or raised button.
- All preset brightness levels can be customized. Output settings can include a selectable steady brightness level, rotary control selected brightness level and various signals.
- Customizable options include turn-on preset, automatic shut-off, button lockout, locator flash, pseudo momentary, true momentary, burst, swap A and B position and disable customization. Some options limited by UIs or versions.
- Reverse battery polarity protection without diode power penalty.
- Pocket clip. Early models used a bolt-on bezel up clip (black and silver colors). Later mid 2010 models used a bezel down carry clip (black only) that secured under the Clicky switch cap. A more decorative clip designed by Moddo was also introduced (black and silver colors). A universal pocket clip compatible with rotary control lights was introduced in 2014 (black and silver colors).
- Water resistance: 2 atmospheres (20m or 66 feet of water) - static.
- Dimensions: Ø 25.4mm x 95mm (Ø 1" x 3.75") - 123 battery compartment.
- Weight: 100g (3.5oz) including battery - 123 battery compartment.
- Input voltage: 1.8V to 4.5V.
EDC Flashlight User's Guide V1 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight User's Guide V2 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight Pocket Reference Card V2 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight User's Guide V3 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V3 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight Pocket Reference Card V3 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight User's Guide V3 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V3 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight Pocket Reference Card V3 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight User's Guide V4 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V4 (PDF)
EDC Flashlight Pocket Reference Card V4 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight User's Guide V4 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V4 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight Pocket Reference Card V4 (PDF)
EDC Bicycle Flashlight User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Executive Flashlight User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC LE Flashlight User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Bicycle/Executive/LE Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Rotary Flashlight User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Rotary Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight User's Guide V5 (PDF)
EDC Tactical Flashlight Advanced User's Guide V5 (PDF)